In the role of Women’s Health Program Coordinator at Fenway Health, I coordinated the 18th Annual Audre Lorde Cancer Awareness Brunch. The event celebrates women of color cancer survivors and their supporters in honor of Audre Lorde, a black lesbian activist and poet who battled cancer. The theme of the event “Self-Care: I Am My Best Work” reflected the icon’s famous quote: “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.”
The event featured:
- A self-care guide for cancer survivors of color with yoga poses, meditation instructions, local cancer resources, and coloring pages.
- An award ceremony honoring women of color community members who embody Audre Lorde’s strength and vision.
- Resource tables from LGBT Elders of Color, Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition, Cancer Care Center at Boston Medical Center, Facing Cancer Together.
- Performances from spoken word artists, African dancers, and Devin Ferreira.
- A raffle including in-home massages, yoga classes, and hair salon gift certificates.